New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, February 20, 2012

Crispy Dried Scallops with Tofu - Tofu # 1

Recipe made in May 2011

Tofu used to be poor man’s food. But tofu isn’t all that cheap nowadays. Unlike in those days, when I was doing marketing for my mom, a piece of silken tofu wrapped in cloth was just 20 sen. And fried small blocks of tofu were 10 sen 3 pieces. How long was that…. 20 years ago. Tofu was dirt cheap.

Nowadays tofu are much much more expensive and err… I have no idea how much it cost at wet markets now. It’s been long long time since I’ve stepped foot in one early morning to do my marketing. But those in supermarkets are ranging from RM80 sen to 2.90 per block, depending on which range one is going for.

I added some crispy fried dried scallops to my tofu this time and it was well enjoyed by my family.





Crispy Dried Scallops with Tofu
Recipe source: Wendyywy

2 blocks of silken tofu
4 Tbsp of dried scallop shreds
2 large cloves or garlic
3 Tbsp oil
3 Tbsp light soy sauce

1. Remove tofu from packaging. Place them on serving dish. (I do not like to reheat my silken tofu as I find it is not as soft when the water seeps out, but reheat if you wish to)
2. Heat a wok and put in 3 tbsp of cooking oil.
3. On medium low heat, fry dried scallops until golden and crunchy. Push to side of wok and try to drain away as much oil as possible. Dish up the crispy scallops.
4. With oil in wok, on medium low heat, fry garlic until golden.
5. Pour hot garlic oil over tofu. Top with crispy scallops and drizzle soy sauce around tofu.
6. Garnish and serve.

20 comments:

  1. Nice and simple dish! Things were so much cheaper last time. 20c can even buy a bowl of noodles, ie. during my parents' time! Compared to other food, tofu is still cheaper and affordable, plus it's a nutritious and versatile food. Look forward to your coming tofu dishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tofu... not my kind of food. I always find it tasteless but I don't mind helping to finish the topping :p

    (I know, I know, tofu is very healthy) *continue mumbling....*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fong,
    My mom's childhood time 5sen only, Then her teens was 10sen plain noodles. She's 60+ now.
    Let's not start talking about housing prices, LOL.


    Yvonne,
    Hmmm.. good tofu is flavourful, hahahah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. with scallops toppings, this is no longer a poor man dish. if we order this kind of dish in restaurant, this is not going to be cheap..there are some restaurants here which i think they really overpriced their dishes.. chee sin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lena,
    Oh.. no need so gik doong. LOL.
    true true.. one scallop word can jack up the price, just like one Damansara word can raise the property's price too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Yum! Tofu is nutritious and easy to prepare in so many unimaginable ways! Yours is one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. With the fried dried scallops added ...no more a poor man's dish...:)))) Nice !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eh, I got the feeling that you serve tofu quite often huh? You think if use those tiny anchovies (银鱼) oso can?...and you planning to buy property meh, so familiar with the prices?Hubby n I went show-house-visiting recently, houses in Klang can be increased about rm50,000 overnight one, mind you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your plate of tofu and scallop , No more a poor man' s dish. But I feel tofu still consider cheap, RM 1-2 per block , reasonable lar, cheap and nutrition !

    ReplyDelete
  10. busygran,
    It's one of the most versatile food ever


    Elin,
    haha, ya woh


    Meldylocks,
    Wah, long time never see ur comment liao, miss u la. Also can, but not as luxurious only lor. Want to use dried prawns also can. This is just a fresh change from the boring dried prawns, kekeke. Aiya, no need buy house also know DAMANSARA, who doesn't? hahaha.


    Sonia,
    Ya woh, tofu is luckily still very affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meldylocks,
    O yes, where got often, this dish was done last year la. My last tofu post was last year too.. yonks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. But you have quite some tofu dishes here...three cups la, steamed la, then got the homemade ones too...
    I visit your blog very often, usually twice or trice a week but there was once very busy, visited after 10 days. You don't come back to school so fast la, the whole education system's getting "no-eye-see"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Meldylocks,
    Aiyor, variety ma, Eat the same tofu all the time meh. Tofu is very versatile, can always find new ways to cook. I rarely cook the same dish twice. Except for common dishes, but then again, never twice in the same month.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this dish is definitely delicious. How about deep fried version? :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lee,
    come back on Wednesday and Friday to get your dose of fried tofu

    ReplyDelete
  16. How do u demold the tofu from the cover so nicely without any breaks?? i always cant do it nicely. Any tricks??

    ReplyDelete
  17. Winnie,
    Cut off each side separately and carefully.
    Sometimes mine breaks too. And sometimes it will just come out just like that. Mysterious, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Wendy, your tofu look so tempting especially the topping. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh dear Wendy I love this dish..simple

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh! this post made me drool over the foods.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...