New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, September 9, 2013

Blackforest Ice Cream Mooncake - Stone Fruits #1



Like I told you, I don't like eating tradtional mooncakes, but I never said, I don't like all sort of mooncakes. This is ice cream, made in the form of mooncakes. Give me any amount, I'll gladly take them! LOL

I had this idea, that instead of making carrot juice yolks, why not I just use beautiful cherries as the moon ?
I have a few other crazy ideas in my head, but I think let's leave them for next year and I hope I get them realized instead of letting them stored up in my brain. This idea was actually thought of last year in 2012 but until now, whatever I planned last year, haven't been done.




I gave one to my kid's ex nanny and she asked me for orders... sadly I had to say no. I seriously dare not accept any orders due to having 3 kids around, things can easily happen and they will come as my priority and I will have to break my promise. I don't like landing myself in that kind of situation.

This ice cream mooncake idea is not new, but I like mine to be filled with homemade ice cream, like how I like my traditional mooncakes to be filled with homemade lotus paste.Try to make your own ice cream to fill your mooncakes and taste the difference. Store bought ice cream just don't taste the same, that is unless you use Haagen Daz and those of the same type. Use full yolks for ultimate smoothness, but sometimes I'm just plain lazy to do that and settle the remaining whites later.


Blackforest Ice Cream Mooncake
by WendyinKK
Makes: 8 pcs (4 round 4 square)

1 egg (or 3 egg yolks)
2 egg yolks
100gm sugar
250ml milk (just don't use low fat)
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
250ml whipping cream

500gm fresh cherries, pitted
250gm dark chocolate (top)
125gm dark chocolate (bottom)

1. Prepare custard. Beat egg, egg yolks and sugar together until very frothy. Put vanilla and milk into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour 1/4 of  the boiling milk into the egg mixture, whisking all the while, then add another 1/4 and whisk. Pour in all and whisk until smooth. Pour all this back into the saucepan (if you think you need to wash the saucepan before this, go ahead, but it's not necessary) Cook the custard mixture on low heat (don't let it boil) until it thickens slightly and coats the back of the spoon. Remove from heat, strain and cover with a piece of cling wrap directly onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Let this cool down totally. (you can do this step way a day ahead and keep the custard chilled)
2. Meanwhile, pit cherries with a cherry pitter or you can use this method.
3. Melt 250gm dark chocolate, let it cool down slightly and take on a thicker consistency. Coat mooncake moulds with the thick melted chocolate. Put it in the fridge (best is have the air cond blowing at it) as you prepare the filling
4. Beat cream in a cold bowl until thick and stiff. Pour in the cooled custard and mix it with the lowest speed until a smooth mixture is achieved..
5. Make sure the chocolate in mould is no longer runny and has partially set (or fully set). Fill 1/3 of the mould with the filling. Put 4 pitted cherries into the filling and top with more filling until 3-5mm from the rim. Level the cream filling and put it into the freezer for about 30 minutes or until the surface of the filling has hardened.
6. Meanwhile melt the balance of chocolate and when the filling's surface is set, cover the filling's surface with a generous amount of melted chocolate.
7. Freeze it for a few hours or overnight. Cut the ice cream mooncakes with a warm clean knife.

*Take note that round moulds have bigger capacity than square moulds




43 comments:

  1. these look sooo awesome!!! And i think more hassle free than the traditional mooncake haha. What a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my, this is a very exotic ice cream mooncake...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comSeptember 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM

    Oh Wendy, this is so beautiful and tempting. How to resist such a yummy ice-cream mooncake???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, neither anyone will reject this mooncake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look so tempting ........... Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy,

    The mooncakes are beautiful.. May I know how you unmold these mooncakes? Am wondering if the chocolates will easily get cracked..

    Rgds,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly,
    If you made the chocolate coating thick enough, it won't crack. Frozen chocolate detaches easily. I just turn it over and it came out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy,

      I tried to unmould but the chocolate stick to the mould (platic mould like yours) securely. The chocolate is thick enough since I apply more than 1 layer (freeze interval layers). I found 1 layer is too thin.

      May I know what have I done wrong?

      Delete
  8. Arghhh... this is too scary, put all moon cakes to shame! This must be real GOOD! love this, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wendy, this is a fantastic idea! Hmmm...I might make mooncakes lah like that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... Just when I thought my mooncake making frenzy is over.... and you showed this. ... Lovely and mouth watering !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 哇。。。实在太喜欢了,谢谢你的分享♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Wendy

    Your ice cream mooncake looks so good.

    I have been searching high and low for this type of agar agar mooncake mould but couldn't... Where did you get yours ?!

    Regards
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  13. My goodness! The photographs look like they've come from the pages of Gourmet Traveller, so elegant and sophisticated!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my word, Wendy this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Wendy, I think I can eat your mooncakes any time, looks so yummy! Love the cherries addition, they look like heart-shape to me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wendy, where you get this nice mould?

    ReplyDelete
  17. THis is SO not a crazy idea. It's an awesome one. Oh, i wish i can bite into one. I love how you added pitted cherries in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is it fine if I omit the cherries from the recipe? If I do so, I have to increase the volume of the filling?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Wendy,

    If use a small heart shaped cake tin, can it unmould easily or have to use the plastic tray?

    Thanks,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  20. MK Moon, Go to Baking supplies shop if you need anything related to baking or desserts.

    PB Eleven, You may, just that you will lose the "Moon" effect. Increase it around 30%, you can always eat the leftovers.

    Cecilia,
    Metal should be ok, I think. Keep it dry.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Wendy
    Can I used normal baking chocolate? And the whipping cream is it diary whipping cream?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Wendy,

    This is so pretty! I wonder where you get your fresh vanilla beans from?

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  23. you know, the traditional mooncakes can b very ' lau', cannot eat much at a time..but ice cream one, i think i can gobble up the whole piece! btw, i was thinking to go to haagen dazs and try their ice cream mooncake, i missed that last year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Wendy

    May I know what brand of dark chocolate that you using for the coating?

    Regards
    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  25. Janice,
    whipping cream is always dairy, unless it's topping cream that is non dairy. I used compound dark chocolate. Go for one that taste good, don't take the cheapest.


    Jennifer,
    I got mine from an online store, bought 1/4 pound and shared with friends. It's also available at Baking shops


    lena
    cepat cepat!


    Pauline,
    Beryl's dark compound




    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Wendy,

    Thanks for sharing this recipe. May I check with you, If I wanted to use just egg yolks for my ice cream, does that mean I will need a total of 5 egg yolks or just 3 yolks?

    Thanks
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  27. Marvellous, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Wendy

    How come my ice-cream is bitter in taste.. Could it be the vanilla extract or the whipping cream I used ? The ice-cream is good but just bitter a bit. What brand do you use for your whipping cream? Some of my ice-cream mooncake came out easily but some cant come out. Pls advise, thanks!

    Rgds/Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  29. Elaine,
    Normally I use Anchor, due to it's easy to get at my place.
    Bitter----> spoiled cream
    Hmm, you needto gently press it a bit to release, if it gets stuck, like how u release ice cubes.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Wendy,

    I made these last weekend, however, the texture is not creamy.. It tasted like a vanila flavour ice.. Not sure what went wrong..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Wendy,

    Its really suprising me.Do u think i can replace the filling with the Vanilla ice cream? I going to try this.As i don't like mooncake too :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Kelly,
    Did u wash the cherries after pitting?
    This ice cream wasn't churned, so it won't be as smooth as the real deal, but still creamy to taste, it should not be icy with the cream and the custard in it. The custard was cooked properly? Any splitting?


    Carmen Yap,
    You may of course. That's what most people do

    ReplyDelete
  33. Kelly,
    Oh yes, if you bit into the cherries, it will be icy as it's frozen fruit. But the ice cream base should not be icy

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Wendy,

    I just want to drop a note to let you know how much i have enjoyed reading your blog. I chance upon your blog when i was searching for the recipes for "客家雷茶“。Since then i have been visiting your site whenever i run out of idea what to cook. So far i have tried your recipes for Osmanthus Cake, Roast Pork (a hit with my son), Osmanthus Scramble eggs, crispy mashed tofu and the black forest mooncake. thank you so much for bring so many wonderful recipes to your reader. Wishing you success in everything you do.
    ps: do you happen to have salted egg squid recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Janice,
    Thanks for the feedback of all the recipe you tried.
    You can the salted egg yolks chicken recipe and adapt it into a squid dish

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow you are simply making me drool over the cake. I am sure the people on diet will definitely be shaken just by the look of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...