New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, February 10, 2014

Lemonade Scones - Scones #1



I think most of us do have the issue of having leftover whipping cream after baking a cake and not knowing what to do with it.

I had some extra cream from a cake and was thinking of making scones with cream. So, I googled for "lemon cream scones". When I saw this recipe,I got interested. The gas in the soft drink provides aeration and the sugar in it... just replaces the sugar that we put in. The cream just takes place of the milk and butter.
The lemonade....the lemonade......will the flavour shine through?




Unfortunately I can't detect the flavour of the drink I used. Too subtle.
But it's ok. I enjoyed the crisp crust with a soft fluffy center.
My kids enjoyed it with whipped cream and homemade strawberry jam.

Take note that you need to use cold lemonade from a freshly opened can. Bottled ones are not recommended as they are less gassy than canned ones. And cold ones release less gas when you form the dough, and will only release more gas upon contact with heat during baking.


Lemonade Scones
Adapted from: foodinaminute 

260gm Self Raising Flour (better to use 300gm)
150gm cold lemonade soft drink (Sprite or 7up, weigh it as gas will make volume measurement difficult)
150gm cold whipping cream (35% fat)
1/2 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 200 (fan)/220C.  Prepare a baking tray lined with baking paper
2. Pour lemonade and cream into one cup. No need to stir.
3. Mix flour with salt and make a well in the center.
4. Pour the lemonade cream mixture into the center.
5. Use chopsticks or 2 dinner knifes to combine the ingredients. As long as the flour look moistened, stop mixing. It may still look lumpy and very sticky.
6. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp of flour onto the table.Scrape the dough onto the floured surface. Sprinkle very generously with more flour.*
7. Form the dough (pat with hands and use a scraper to straighten the sides) into a 1 inch thick rectangle. Flour a dough scraper, and cut it into 6-8 squares, according to your preference. Flour the scraper before each cut.
8. Transfer the cut dough onto the baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the scones look beautifully golden.

*I used almost 1 cup of flour just to dust.




16 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy,

    Glads to see you are back from CNY!! Gong Hei Fatt Choy !!
    This receipe look so simple & easy. Will give this a try.
    Btw, the dough required put in fridge for 30 mins ?

    Thanks.
    CP

    ReplyDelete
  2. CP,
    No need. Shape and bake immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe look simple and easy. I definitely will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, this is such an interesting recipe! I have never seen a recipe that doesn't use sugar in its direct form. I would like to try this when I have the time. Nice! Your scones look pretty moist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SCONES!!! Im gonna love this theme week, and what a great start. Gonna try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your scones look really yummy and it just uses only few ingredients. And I think it sounds interesting using soft drinks in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love scones n yours look delish N easy.just like to kw,wt is an altenative for the Cream.tnking u in advance.happy CNY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thea,
    Let me know the outcome :)


    Grace,
    hehe, kills 2 birds with one stone :)



    Sharon,
    More to come :)


    Mel,
    The original uses even less ingredients, no salt :p


    Winifred,
    You can use 70% milk 30% butter to make up the cream amount. Method will be different. Texture will be different

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Wendy can I substitute self raising flour with plain flr?

    ReplyDelete
  10. How's the texture of scones the next day btw? I plan to bake the nite before for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your scones look inviting. Easy to prepare and I am sure it tastes good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coco,
    I have the habit of reheating scones whenever I eat. So, I don't know how it is like when it's cold for more than 12 hours.
    Plain flour will give you less tender scones. You can use it together with 2 tsp of baking powder


    MamaFami,
    Yes, scones are usually easy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing :D

    https://www.facebook.com/CuteBallKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wendy,

    Did you use all of the whipping cream and soft drink into the flour? I did that but mine became wet batter and I added a lot of flour after. So I didn't get a crusty top and it became bread-ish. I weighed my ingredients tho.But yep can't really taste the lemony flavour! Even though mine didn't turn out as right, the texture and the taste was really good! Thanks Wendy!

    Charmaine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Charmaine,
    I used all, it was very wet, and I dusted with a lot of flour.
    I saw other recipes on the internet with similar ratios. Maybe I should edit the recipe, so that others won't be worried about the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Wendy,
    Baked it! Just 2 issues, other than that best. Didn't know scones are so yummy n easy.

    My bake was not as brown n crisp ...pretty pale actually with a lot of flour on it especially at the bottom of the scones.

    But still....so good even left overnight.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...